On 4th April 1780 the property was sold with 91 acres as part of an estate. In 1786-1803 Rev. Lewis Davies was the owner and occupier of Treleddyn Uchaf. On 18th February 1816 Elizabeth Devonald, daughter of John & Eleanor Devonald (nee’ Davies) of Treleddyn, was baptised at Bridell Church. The same happened to their son James Lewis Devonald on 1st November 1816; their daughter Ann Devonald on 4th January 1818; son Richard Devonald on 24th October 1819; and son James Devonald on 11th September 1823. On 15th February 1827 Lewis James Devonald of Treleddyn, son of John and Eleanor Devonald, died aged 5. On 17th March 1833 Bridget Devonald of Treleddyn died aged 14. John Devonald lived here that year. On 6th January 1834 Elinor Devonald of Treleddyn died aged 51. In 1838 John Devonald owned Treleddyn Uchaf. On 3rd January 1840 Elizabeth Dorothy Devonald, daughter of James & Hannah Devonald of this address, was baptised at Bridell Church. In 1841 the following persons lived here: James Devonald, 25; Hannah Devonald, 27; and five servants. On 14th March 1841 Lewis William Devonald, son of James & Hannah Devonald, was baptised at Bridell Church. On 10th July 1841 James Devonald of Treleddyn died aged 35. On 24th July 1841 Lewis William Devonald, 6 months, was buried at the same place, as was Eliza Dorothy Devonald, aged 3 years 2 months, on 9th February 1843. On 1st March 1849 Elizabeth Evans died here aged 72. On May 9th 1849 her grand niece, Eleanor Owens, the grand-daughter of John & Eleanor Devonald, died here aged 13. In 1851 the following persons lived at Treleddyn Uchaf: John Jones, 30; Jane Jones, 32; Rahcel Jones, 10; John Jones, 8; Evan Jones, 6; Thomas Thomas, 18 months (son of John Jones!). In 1861 John Davies, 32, ploughman, lived here with three servants – Lea Griffiths, 31, dairy maid; Mary Thomas, 20, servant; and Evan Evans, 12, servant.
On 14th June 1863 James Davies, son of David & Rachel Davies of this address, was baptised at Bridell Church, as were their other children: Eliza Davies and Martha Ann Davies on 19th March 1865; William Davies on 25th May 1867; and Margaret Davies on 13th November 1869. In 1871 the following persons lived here: David Davies, 41, farmer of 61 acres; Rachel Davies, 33, his wife; John Devonald, 9, son; James Devonald, 7, son; Eliza Devonald, 6, daughter; Martha Devonald, 6, daughter; William Devonald, 4, son; Margaret Devonald, 1, daughter; and Mary Richard, 29, servant. In 1863-82 David Davies was the farmer. On 15th February 1876 William Davies, son of David & Rachel Davies of this address, was baptised at Bridell Church, implying that the previously-mentioned William Davies had died by this date. On 18th January 1882 David Davies of this address died aged 53. On 18th March 1882 John Davies, 21, of Treleddyn Uchaf, married Hannah Jones of Cwmcuch. On 6th August 1882 Margretta Davies, daughter of John & Hannah Davies of this address, was baptised at Bridell Church. On 25th March 1883 Elizabeth Jane Davies of this address died aged 18. On 2nd December 1890 James Davies of this address died aged 27. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Rachel Davies, 53, widow, farmer; Martha Davies, 25, daughter; William Davies, 28, son; Joshua Davies, 15, son; Margaret Davies, 21, daughter. On 6th April 1896 Rachel Davies of Treleddyn Uchaf died aged 58 on 7th April 1896.
In 1897 David Davies of Treleddyn Uchaf was an Assistant Overseer with the Cardigan Union. In 1901 the following persons lived here: William Davies, 33, farmer; Joshua Davies, 24, his brother; Martha Davies, 35, sister; Margaret Davies, 32, sister; and Martha J. Davies, 9, niece, All of the occupants were Welsh-speaking and had been born at Bridell. In 1901 William Davies was also an Assistant Overseer with the Cardigan Union. In 1901-51 the property was occupied by William Davies, farmer. On 16th May 1908 Margaret Davies of this address died aged 38. In 1913 Joshua Davies lived here. In 1918 W. & J. Davies lived here with Miss M. Davies. On 29th August 1942 Miss Martha Anne Davies of this address died aged 77. In 1946 J. Davies lived here. On 16th November 1951 William Davies of this address died aged 85. On 30th June 1952 TreleddynUchaf, a five bedroom house, was advertised for sale with 40 acres. In April 1959 Josua Davies of Treleddyn Uchaf died. In May and October 1961 the 5-bedroom property was advertised for sale again with 44 acres.
The house at Treleddyn Uchaf was listed in 1994 and was described by CADW:
“…Late C18 or early C19 small farmhouse in whitewashed rubble stone with asbestos sheet roof and stone end stacks. Two-storey three-window front offset to right, with 12-pane hornless sashes and half-glazed door. Upper windows have timber lintels, lower openings have cambered heads and stone voussoirs. A slate sill projects from wall between door head and window above. Slate sills. Outshut rear.
Marked on 1838 Tithe map as owned and occupied by John Devonald.
Good example of a little-altered traditional farmhouse…”
British Chronicle 23/03/1780
Land Tax Lists for Bridell, 1786-1803
NLW Eaton, Evans & Williams MS 91
Bridell Parish Registers
Bridell Tithe Map 1838
Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1891; 1901
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1926
Penybryn Baptist Chapel Annual Report 1911
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1894; 1896; 1899; 1902; 1913-14; 1918; 1933-34; 1936-38; 1942;
1944-46; 1950; 1952; 1959-62; 2000
Draft Poster – Sale at Treleddyn Isaf 28/11/1950
Cilgerran Bible Society Annual Report 1952
The Place-Names of Pembrokeshire, B G Charles 1993
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cilgerran, Julian Orbach, CADW 1994
© Glen K Johnson 01/07/2013