The name means ‘Long House’. On 15th October 1691, during a dispute relating to rectoral tithes, James Griffith, 80, of Bayvil, claimed to have worked as a dairyman here for five years for Robert Lloyd, who leased Tyhir from David Parry of Noyadd Trefawr. He then worked for James Griffith there for a further five years. The property had been held by Abel Griffith [Mayor of Cardigan 1657 and 1663] and then by his son, Matthew Griffith [Mayor of Cardigan 1668], Matthew Griffith’s brother, James Griffith, acting as agent. James Griffiths was assessed at 1 hearth in the Hearth Tax of 1670, perhaps for Tyhir. In the early 18th Century William Owen is said to have been born here – a noted freebooter and renegade in the district. Despite the evidence to the contrary, his parents are said to have remained here for a number of years. On 5th April 1720 Stephen & Anne Parry leased Tyhir to William Rowlands of Cilgarthen and Charles Evans of Llwyndyrus. In June 1761-68 Evan Lloyd lived here. On 24th October 1768 Marmaduke & Frances Gwynne leased Tyhir to William Bowen of Tyhir for 21 years at £45 per annum, plus suit of mill. In 1771 William Bowen of Tyhir became a Church Warden. In 1779 William Bowen was still resident, and the property had “…a good House and Out-house’.
In 1779-97 John Evan lived here. In 1786-94 Madame Gwynne leased Tyhir to John Evan. On 24th November 1790 John Evan of Tyhir employed a young pauper David Davies, as an apprentice. In 1796 John Evans and Benjamin Thomas were the tenants. In 1797 John Evans was the tenant. In 1801-03 Margaret Evans was the tenant. In 1802 Margaret Evan became a Church Warden. In 1805 probate was made of the will of Margaret Evan. Her will referred to her niece Frances Evan, wife of William Evan of St. Dogmaels, and Frances Evans’ children Thomas and David Evans; her brothers John and William; and William’s illegitimate son David David. On 30th December 1806 Frances Gwynne leased the property to David Davies of Tyhir for 3 lives at £110 per annum, plus suit of mill. On 5th February 1808 Eli Griffiths may have been born here, the son of Thomas Griffiths.
On 10th December 1810 Frances Gwynne of Bath leased Tyhir to James Williams of Penalltyfelin, Manordeifi, Pembrokeshire, for 3 lives at £180 per annum. In 1810-38 James Williams lived here. On 15th August 1815 William Henry Webley-Parry of the Priory, Cardigan, granted a lease of 12 fields here to James Williams for 14 years at £80 per annum rent plus suit of mill. In 1824 a new farmhouse was built here. On 16th October 1827 James Williams was a burgess of Cardigan. On 28th January 1828 Benjamin Williams, son of James & Elizabeth Williams of Tyhir, died aged 2 months. On 27th January 1829 Eliza Williams, daughter of James & Elizabeth Williams of Tyhir, died aged 14. On 28th January 1829 Griffith Williams, son of James & Elizabeth Williams of Tyhir, died aged 4. On 2nd November 1831 John Williams, son of James & Elizabeth Williams, was drowned near Sana Island, aged 20. Tyhir is shown on a map of 1834. In 1836-39 James Williams was a burgess of Cardigan. On 21st December 1838 James Williams leased Pencnwc.
In 1841-45 Thomas Jones, burgess of Cardigan, lived here. On 30th May 1845 Thomas Jones, a Deacon of Capel Degwel, died aged 42. On 9th December 1845 Ann Jones of Tyhir, daughter of Benjamin Jones, labourer, married John James, mariner, St. Dogmaels. On 20th March 1846 William Henry Webley-Parry agreed to allow Margaret Jones, widow, to remain the tenant provided that William Phillips of Trerhys agreed to provide security for prompt payment of the annual £105 rent. In 1850 Mrs. Margaret Jones lived here. A new house was built here in the early-mid 19th Century.
On November 12th 1870 Henry Rees, 22, farm labourer here, married Nancy Owens. In 1871 Tyhir was occupied by Thomas Phillips, 36, bailiff; Mary Williams, 46, dairy maid; James Griffiths, 22, servant; and Ann Rees, 23, servant. In 1875 R. J. Phillips was the farmer. In 1881 the following persons lived here: Thomas Phillips, 42, widower, farm servant; William Davies, 19, servant; Hannah James, 28, servant; and Mary Lewis, 23, servant. In the late 1880’s Tyhir was occupied by Hannah James, David Williams, William Rees, Benjamin James, Sarah Thomas and Mary Salmon. In 1891 it was occupied by David Daniel, 25, farm servant; Hannah James, 21, servant; and Mary Morris, 18, servant.
On October 29th 1893 John Evans of Tyhir was ordained a Deacon of Blaenwaun Baptist Chapel. In 1893-1915 Tyhir was occupied by John Evans. In 1899 John Jones of Tyhir was a Deacon of Gerazim Baptist Chapel. In 1901 the following persons lived here: John Evans, 50, farmer (born at Ferwig, bilingual); Letitia Evans, 42, his wife; Leah Evans, 9, their daughter (born at Llangoedmor); Edith Evans, 7, daughter (born at Llangoedmor); Mary Ann Evans, 6, daughter; Eleanor Evans, 4, daughter; William A. Davies, 20, servant; Charles Jones, 18, servant (born at New Quay, bilingual); David J. Ladd, 13, servant; and Elizabeth Jones, 21, servant. Except where noted otherwise, all were Welsh-speaking and born in the parish. In 1911 the following persons lived here: John Evans, 61, farmer; Letitia Evans, 51, his wife; Leah Evans, 19, their daughter; Edith Evans, 17, daughter; Mary Ann Evans, 16, daughter; Eleanor Evans, 13, daughter; David Thomas Evans, 17, relative, servant; Evan James, 28, servant; Thomas Lewis Mathias, 17, servant; and Owen James, 14, servant. All were bilingual. In 1912 John Evans was a Guardian of the Poor. On 26th March 1915 John Evans of Tyhir died aged 65. On 8th December 1920 Willie Davies of Llanfyrnach married Leah Evans, eldest daughter of Mrs. Evans of Tyhir. On 15th September 1921 there was a sale of crops here and on 21st October 1921 a clearance sale, both for Mrs. Evans, who was leaving.
In 1924-33 William Griffith Davies was the farmer. On 7th October 1925 there was a sale of stock and crops here for William Griffith Davies. In May 1933 Tyhir was advertised for sale. It was sold to Henry George in June 1933. In 1937-38 Mrs. George lived here. In 1938 the following persons lived here: Henry George, Elizabeth George, Ewart George, John George and Garfield George. In June 1938 Tyhir was advertised for sale with 135 acres.
In 1939 the following persons lived here: Elizabeth George, Ewart George, John George, Garfield George and Mary George. In October 1941 Garfield George lived here. On 15th May 1942 Henry George of Tyhir died. In 1944 the following persons lived here: Elizabeth George; Ewart George; John George; Garfield George; and Mary George. In 1955 Elizabeth George, Evelyn M. George, John M. George and William E. George lived here. On 29th October 1959 there was a sale of stock, crops and implements here.
NLW Noyadd Trefawr MSs 1601-1602; 896; 882; 1039; 1024; 1054; 1151
Hearth Tax List for Pembrokeshire 1670
NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B
Pembrokeshire Record Office – Abstract of Wills 1761
Unpublished Bill regarding William Webley 1773.
Gloucester Journal 09/08/1779
Pembrokeshire Record Office: HPR/145/15
Land Tax Returns for Pembrokeshire 1786-1803
Map of Cardigan, John Wood 1834
NLW Morgan Richardson MS 2182
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Marriages 1837-1970
Census Returns 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901; 1911
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1906; 1914; 1926
Accounts – Rebuilding Blaenywaun Chapel, St Dogmaels 1891
Occupiers List of Voters – St. Dogmaels 30/07/1894
Hanes Blaenywaun, Benjamin Rees 1899
The History of St. Dogmaels Abbey, Emily M Pritchard 1907
Paupers’ List – Cardigan Board of Guardians 1912
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1905; 1912; 1915; 1920-21; 1924-25; 1931-33; 1937-38; 1941-42
Blaenwaun Chapel Annual Report 1938; 1939; 1944
St. Dogmaels Electoral Register 1955
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Baptisms 1857-1967
The Place Names of Pembrokeshire, B G Charles 1993
Cardigan County Agricultural Show, Islwyn & Betty Griffiths 2004
Monumental Inscriptions, Blaenywaun Chapel cemetery.
© Glen K Johnson 23/09/2013.