On 17th May 1769 Thomas Mendws was granted a lease of the premises. On 30th March 1774 Thomas Mendws was a burgess of Cardigan. On 12th June 1780 John Mendus, Thomas Mendus the elder, Thomas Mendus the younger and John watts were all accused by Herbert Lloyd, gent, of assault and the rescue of Thomas Mendus from the custody of the bailiff. On 14th November 1780 Thomas Mendus, carpenter, was accused of assault by Thomas Lloyd, and also of stealing a boat and destroying it. The case was rejected. On 9th December 1830 a Thomas Mendws, carpenter and joiner of St. Dogmaels died aged 72 – perhaps the son of his aforementioned namesake.
On September 28th 1859 David Edwards of this address was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged 19. On 10th January 1868 the property was advertised for sale by public auction. In 1868-72 William Evans was the landlord. On 25th June 1872 Captain William Evans died at St. Petersburg. In 1872-1911 his widow Mrs. Mary Evans was the publican (she had been born Mary Davies, daughter of John & Mary Davies of Panteg). In 1881 the following persons lived here: Mary Evans, widow innkeeper; John Philip Evans, her son; John J. Owens, 10, nephew; and Mary Jones, 15, general servant. On March 10th 1890 John Philip Evans of this address was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged 29. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Mary Evans, 59, widow, inn-keeper; Mary Jane Richards, 16, her grand-daughter; and George Davies, 18, nephew, assistant. By 1901 the Richards family lived here – Ben Richards, Rose Richards, Mary Richards, John Richards and Eileen Bard. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Mary Evans, 67, innkeeper, born at St. Dogmaels; and Sarah Ann Richards, 21, her grand-daughter, born in Glamorgan. Both were bilingual. In 1911 the following persons lived here: Mary Evans, 79, widow, Public House Keeper (b. Cardigan); and Nan Richards, 26, her grand-daughter, assistant (b. Swansea). Both were bilingual. On May 6th 1911 Mrs. Mary Evans of this address was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged 79 on 2nd May.
In 1911-43 Mrs. Eleanor Richards was the publican. In February 1918 Gunner J. D. Richards of the ‘White Hart’ was in France. Ben Richards lived here in 1918. On October 21st 1927 Nellie Richards of this address was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged 46. On March 3rd 1930 Rosina Richards of this address, 32, daughter of Mrs. Richards of the White Hart and the late builder David Richards married Percy William Osborn of Bristol. In 1938 Mrs. and Miss Richards lived here. In 1942 Miss Sarah Ann Richards became the licensee until 1949. On January 7th 1943 Mrs. Eleanor Richards of this address was buried at St. Dogmaels, having died on 3rd January aged 88. In 1948 Mrs. Rosina Osborn, 53, sister of Mrs. Sarah Ann Richards, both of this address, died in tragic circumstances. On 16th May 1949 Miss Sarah Ann Richards, who had lived here until a few months previously and who had a family connection to the property going back more than a century, died aged 69.
On 1st September 1949 licensee Owen Parry died and Phoebe Parry became the publican. In June 1950-January 1951, the pub, which had a Brewing License, was advertised for sale. In 1951 Alexander Charlie Dashwood became the landlord, until at least 1953. On 6th July 1956 the property was advertised for sale. In September 1956 Stanley Williams Whittle became the landlord. On 29th May 1958 the 2-bedroom property was advertised for sale and sold late in the year. Ronald & Mona Hills were the next licensees. In 1962-68 Mr. & Mrs. Eric Stanley Ricketts were the landlords.
William Chandler was the publican from 1971-87. He lived here with his wife June Chandler until their retirement in 1986. In October 1997 Hugh & Rosemary Samways became the licensees. An extension here was demolished and plastic windows installed in 2002. In December 2005 Hugh Samways left. In 2005 Ann Duckworth became the licensee. On 3rd July 2006 H. R. H. Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall visited.
C18 and later 2 storey inn in painted roughcast with imitation slate roof.
NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B
Pigot’s Directory 1830
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Burials 1852-85; 1885-1952
Slater’s Directory 1868
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1868; 1872; 1897; 1911; 1918; 1930; 1934-35; 1937-38; 1941; 1943; 1948-51; 1953; 1956-58; 1965-67
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1906; 1914; 1926
Cardigan Observer 1879
Accounts – Rebuilding Blaenywaun Chapel, St Dogmaels 1891
Census Returns 1881; 1891; 1901; 1911
Occupiers List of Voters – St. Dogmaels 30/07/1894
Caniedydd Cynulleidfaol 1895
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Marriages 1837-1970
Annual Report – Capel Degwel, St Dogmaels 1938
Plan – The White Hart c1950’s
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Baptisms 1857-1967
Tivy-Side Advertiser 1997; 2001; 2009
Programme – St. Dogmaels Public Regatta 15/08/1998.
© Glen K Johnson 25/07/2013.