Site Name: Y STORWS; TY’R BONT BAPTIST CHAPEL; MALT HOUSE.
This was probably the property leased on 30th April 1793 for 99 years, consisting of two adjoining pieces of land in St. Dogmaels parish to build a meeting house “…for preaching…” It was leased to Rev. David Jones and others. In 1813 Ty’r Bont Baptist Chapel was built here as a chapel-of-ease for members of the thriving Blaenywaun Baptist Chapel. It cost £149. 1s. 2½d. On 28th & 29th September 1815 a lease was agreed of the property between 1): Evan Owen and Benjamin Owen; 2): William Jones; Elizabeth Jones, his wife; 3): John Bowen. William and Elizabeth Jones were the tenants. On 24th & 25th January 1820 William Jones released the property to David Owen. In 1822 the Minister, Rev. Dafydd Phillips, sailed in the Spring to Cardigan Settlement, St. John’s, New Brunswick, on the ‘Active’ of Cardigan. He returned in the summer. In 1828 a gallery was added to the building at a cost of £46. 17s. 7½ d. Rev. W. Thomas became the new Minister in 1834. The chapel was replaced by Bethsaida Baptist Chapel across the road in 1838. David Owen then used the building as a malthouse as a tenant to the chapel trustees. On 2nd May 1846 the Trustees and Deacons of Bethsaida, owners of the property, were: John George, Ffynnoncrannau, Bridell, farmer, the sole surviving Trustee of the former chapel; William Thomas, Penybryn, Bridell, Minister of Blaenywaun; Thomas Davies, shopkeeper; Thomas Thomas, tailor; Thomas Richards, joiner, all of St. Dogmells; William Rees, Granant-issa. These were the Deacons and Managing members of Ty’rbont. On that date they sold the property to the former tenant, David Owen, innkeeper, St. Dogmaels.
In the late 1880’s Phoebe Jenkins may have lived here. In 1891 this was a carpenter’s shop and a malthouse where beer was brewed. A photograph of the building can be found in Benjamin Rees’ 1899 book on the Baptist chapels of the parish. The malt-house, used for local beer brewing, was advertised for sale on 23rd January 1920. Until 1928 William Morgan, cabinet-maker, probably traded here. In August 1928 T. Griffiths, builder, traded from Ty’rbont, having recently taken the premises over following the death of previous occupier William Morgan. In April 1930 the building, used as a warehouse, was advertised for sale. In January 1943 the property was advertised for sale, then used as a garage and store. On 23rd July 1976 ‘Ty’r Bont’ was advertised for sale. It is now a residential property and much modernised.
Stucco rendered three storey C19 and later house, formerly chapel, with half-hipped imitation slate roof. All openings replaced in uPVC
NLW Noyadd Trefawr MS 993
Indenture relating to former Ty’rbont Chapel, 02/05/1846
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1885; 1920; 1922; 1929-30; 1943; 1976; 2007
Census Returns 1891
Hanes Blaenywaun, Benjamin Rees 1899
The Religious Census of 1851, Ieuan G Jones & David Williams 1976
Strangers From a Secret Land, Peter Thomas 1986
© Glen K Johnson 23/07/2013.