The Welsh Intermediate Act was passed on 12th August 1889. At a meeting held in Cardigan Guildhall on 6th June 1890 it was unanimously agreed to seek the provision of a new Intermediate School for the town. On 10th October 1890 the Cardiganshire & Pembrokeshire Joint Education Committee voiced its’ support for the scheme. On 5th June 1891 Col. Miles offered a piece of land here for a site. On 23rd June 1891 a meeting at the Guildhall confirmed the commencement of the project, with Charles Evan D. Morgan-Richardson at the head of the Steering Committee. On 16th August 1893 ‘The South Wales Eisteddfod‘ was held in the town and the proceeds went towards the new school project. On 26th October 1894 the land was purchased for building the new school. In 1894 Royal assent was given for the school to be founded, with £450 from the government and the Lady Laetitia Cornwallis fund moneys used for the existing Cardigan Grammar School. The school was to accommodate 80 boys and 30 girls. The money was pledged in February 1894. In April 1894 the managers were named as Mr. O. Beynon Evans, Mrs. Captain Lewis and Rev. John Williams, Minister of Bethania Baptist Chapel, William Street. The latter resigned on 15th February 1895 due to denominational arguments. On 15th March 1895 George Morgan & Son, architects, Carmarthen, won the contract to design the new building.
On 14th August 1895 a Grand Eisteddfod was held in Cardigan to raise funds for the project. On 17th July 1896 the contract for building the new school went to Messrs. John Williams & Sons, Felingynllo, Llangoedmor, for £2779.5s.6d. The site was being cleared by 21st August 1896. The foundation stone was laid on 2nd November 1896. On 7th November 1896 the following appeared in the ‘Cardigan Observer‘:
“…CARDIGAN INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL. MEETING OF THE LOCAL MANAGERS. An ordinary meeting of the Local Managers of the above school was held at the Council Chamber at- 12 noon on Monday last, the members present being the Rev. J. Williams (chairman), Messrs. John Rees, Jeremiah Stephens, E. H. James, Evan Thomas, Ivor Evans, O. Beynon Evans, Henry R. Daniel, and Mrs Phillips and Mrs Lewis. Dr. Rees was also present.
A NEW MEMBER. Mr Henry R, Daniel took and subscribed to the oral declaration on taking his seat as representative of the Pembrokeshire School Boards.
REPORT OF COMMITTEE. ON SCHOLARSHIPS. The Clerk presented the report of the committee appointed to investigate the question of scholarships, which, at the last meeting, was found to be in a muddled state. The committee had gone into the matter thoroughly, and bad come to the conclusion that they had no right to offer more than fifteen scholarships, but they had exceeded that number by 16. The scheme provided for bursaries, and the 16 referred to could take them; and they could admit the half-scholarships recommended on payment of 10s per term. In reply to Mr E. H. James, it was stated that there were no limits to the bursaries. Mr Daniel’s name was added to the committee on scholarships. Mr O. B. Evans remarked that in going through the list of scholarships recommended by Mr Owen, he had found the names of children whose parents were rolling in wealth. Was that right? The Chairman said that be failed to to see how they could back out of the resolution entered into, which offered the scholarships unconditionally. Mr O. B. Evans replied that his object was to continue the scholarships to poor boys, and that was the purport of the resolution which he proposed. The Chairman suggested that the best thing they could do would be to refer the list back to the committee for further consideration. On the motion of Aldr. H. James, seconded by Mr O. B. Evans, it was agreed that the list be submitted to the consideration of a committee of the whole managers at the close of the meeting.
STATE OF THE FUNDS. A number of Cheques coming up for payment; In reply to Mr S. H. James, the clerk stated that they had a balance at the treasurer of about £500, having just received £ 32 118 6d from the Pembrokeshire County Council. The total amount received from Cardiganshire was £ 123, and it was probable a grant of £ 103 would be made in respect of the three annual terms. Mr James complained that an adequate sum had not been paid by Cardiganshire. A portion of the sum just received from Pembrokeshire was the result of accumulation of funds since the passing of the Act. Similar grant should come from Cardiganshire. The Chairman reminded the speaker that the accumulation in Cardiganshire had been added to the building fund, so that, instead of the original grant of £ 400 they would receive £ 734. The Pembrokeshire scheme had been passed before that of Cardiganshire, and could not be otherwise utilised. The grants would be paid regularly henceforth. On the motion of Mr H. R. Daniel, seconded by Mr John Rees, the clerk was requested to apply for the overdue grants from the Cardigan- shire County Council. Cheques were drawn in discharge of bills for apparatus, and the clerk’s fee as returning officer in the recent election.
CLERK OF THE WORKS. The Clerk was requested to communicate with Messrs Morgan & Son, Carmarthen, intimating that it was the wish of the Local Managers that a consultation should take place between them prior to appointing a clerk of the works, and asking them to fix a date for the meeting.
LAYING THE FOUNDATION STONES. Mr O. B. Evans suggested the desirability of having a demonstration on the occasion of laying the foundation stones of the new schoolrooms, so as to afford an opportunity for those who desired to subscribe and contribute. He moved that that be done. Mr J. Rees, seconding the motion, said he should like to be furnished with a list of subscribers from Pembrokeshire, which, he was afraid was very small, as no one was asked to subscribe. He knew of many prepared to do so on being ask- ed. That had not been done outside of the town of Cardigan. This was agreed to. It was also resolved that a demonstration committee be appointed, with power to add to it, so as to make the necessary arrangements. Three to form a quorum.
SYLLABUS OF SCHOLARSHIPS. Dr Rees stated that he had met the elementary schoolmasters of the district, but they were not quite ready with their proposed scheme, so that it was decided to defer the matter.
THIRD MASTER WANTED. Dr Rees stated that in view of the number of classes preparing for various examinations, such as matriculation, Science and Art Department, &c., it was felt that Mr Saunders could not do justice to the classes, as several of them required attention at one and the same time hence arose the want of a third master. There were 93 pupils at present in the school. Mr Daniel gave notice that the question would be raised at the next meeting, and a resolution submitted. The meeting was adjourned till next Saturday…”
Mr. Studt visited Cardigan for the first time on 10th November 1896, with his gondolas. He made a generous donation to the fund. His descendants still visit Cardigan Fair every 10th November. In January 1897 it was decided not to use Cardigan brick for the new building. At that time D. White Jones was appointed a teacher at the new school. The Memorial Stones were laid on 12th May 1897. The following appeared in the ‘Cardigan Observer‘ on 15th May 1897:
“…CARDIGAN INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL. LAYING OF MEMORIAL STONES IN THE NEW BUILDING.
Wednesday last will be a red letter day in the history of our town and neighbourhood, as it was the day on which memorial stones were placed in front wall of the beautiful new building in course of erection at the North-end of the town, on a commanding and healthy site, which will be a great acquisition to the rising generation. The able staff of teachers are already doing good work, and have under their care over 80 scholars. At 2.30 p.m., the time appointed to start, a large concourse of people had assembled in the Guildhall-square, where the procession was formed in the following order:- The Volunteer brass band the Mayor (in his robes of office) and Corporation, the Local Managers of the Intermediate School, preceded by Principal Roberts (Aberystwyth) and Rev. L. James (Brynbank), chairmen and representatives of the County Governors of Cardiganshire and Pembrokeshire respectively, teachers and scholars of the Intermediate School, the public teachers and scholars of the Board School. Though invited, the scholars of the National School did not join the procession. There was a good muster of ministers, but the clergy, with the exception of the Rev. J. Myfenydd Morgan, vicar of St. Dogmells, were conspicuous by their absence. The principal streets having been paraded, the site of the school was reached about 3.15, and after a stay of about quarter of an hour the proceedings commenced.
The Rev. John Williams stated that a very pleasant duty devolved on him that day, that of conducting the proceedings and laying a memorial stone. He thanked his colleagues for the honour conferred on him, and announced the order in which the memorial stones were to be laid. The ladies and gentlemen selected to lay the stones having been provided with a pretty mallet, bearing a suitable inscription on a silver plate, Mrs Morgan-Richardson proceeded to lay the first stone, and, tapping it thrice with the mallet, declared the stone well and truly laid, which was repeated by the four others. Mrs Phillips, Bank House, laid the second stone, and Mrs Lewis, Lloyds Bank, the third-two of the Local Managers. The fourth stone by the Mayor, and the fifth by the Rev. John Williams. The ceremony having been concluded, the large audience congregated in front of a capital wooden structure which had been erected for the convenience of the speakers and others, to listen to the addresses.
Mrs Morgan-Richardson was the first speaker. She expressed the great pleasure afforded her in being present among them that day for the purpose of laying a memorial stone instead of her husband. She had no doubt, were Mr Morgan- Richardson able to be present that he could perform the duty better than she could. However, she thanked the Managers for doing her the honour of inviting her to lay a memorial stone. She heartily wished the school every success. The Rev. J. Williams stated that they were all pleased to see Mrs Morgan-Richardson among them that day, but regretted the unavoidable absence of Mr Morgan-Richardson, who had done so much on behalf of the school and his efforts had been realized that day (cheers). Dr. Phillips, returning thanks on behalf Mrs Phillips, stated that she was proud of the success attending the school in its present inconvenient premises, and looked forward with pleasure to the bright prospects looming before them after entering the new and capacious premises, with its convenient halls and class-rooms. He was proud to take part in the meeting that day, as all friends of education should. Much had been written and spoken of late on evolution in all directions. During the last 40 years day schools had evolved very much, and so had the buildings and school-masters. Instead of small insanitary schools and untrained schoolmasters, they had in these days splendid buildings and trained schoolmasters, so that the rising generation had every opportunity afforded it of securing first-class training near their homes. He concluded his remarks by urging the boys and girls to climb up the ladder of life, to stick to their books, to aim high, and not idle their time away unprofitably.
Mr W. Lewis, Lloyds Bank, said he and his family appreciated very much the honour conferred on Mrs Lewis by selecting her to lay a memorial stone. He was convinced that the school would prove a great success, as they had good managers, a straightforward chairman, an efficient staff of teachers, and excellent buildings. Mr W. J. Williams (mayor) acknowledging the honour conferred on him in representing the town on the occasion, said he was afraid the inhabitants were not alive to the advantages connected with such a school. Principal Roberts, Aberystwyth, who had an enthusiastic reception, said he deemed it his duty to be present that day, not only as chairman of the County Governing Body, but as educationist. He was pleased to say that the Cardiganshire Intermediate Scheme was now completed, and in force in every part of the county, with an extra school at Tregaron. Having referred to the veterans who bad laid down the foundation of Intermediate Education in the county many years ago, he said that although the population of the county was decreasing the means of education were increasing. The laying of the memorial stones that day marked a new epoch in the history of Cardigan and neighbourhood, and improve the social life of the place. Having alluded to the benefits and importance of education to the rising generation, and the duty of parents to make a sacrifice on behalf of their children, he concluded a thrilling and effective address.
The Rev. Lewis James, Brynbank, as representative of the Pembrokeshire County Governors, said he was pleased to be present, and offered bis congratulations on the possession of such a school, and that it was to be erected on such a commanding and healthy site. Having stated that the means of first-class education had been brought to the doors of all children—good elementary schools, intermediate schools, university colleges, and to crown all the University of Wales, which was inaugurated last summer by the Prince of Wales, its first Chancellor, so that there was now a complete ladder for the Welsh child from the infant school to the highest University degree. There were already multitudes of children and youths on every rung climbing upwards. There were in July last 47 Intermediate Schools opened in Wales, with 3,397 pupils. The pro. portion these pupils bore to the population was 2 per 1000, but in Montgomeryshire it was 6 per 1000, and in Pembrokeshire 8 per 1000. There were 5 Intermediate Schools now opened in Cardiganshire, besides two colleges, where the young could be trained to all walks of life. He concluded a practical address by stating that he wished every success to the Cardigan joint school, promised on behalf of the Pembrokeshire Governors that they would do their part to contribute towards its success.
Dr. Rees, headmaster, in a neat and taking speech, appealed to the audience to send their sons and daughters to the school to be educated, and keep them there till they were fit to take up worthy positions in life. The Rev. T. J. Morris remarked that they were there that day to rejoice it the success which had been the missing link in the chain. of education in the past, as the step from the elementary schools to the colleges was too great. Rev. J. Griffiths, Cilgerran, said he was in favour of cultivating the mind with knowledge, and the heart with the gospel, and by uniting both the rising generation would be prepared for this and the other world. He was convinced that culture was a fit preparation for the other world, as well as this, as it expanded the faculties. He wished the school every success. Rev. G. Hughes was pleased to notice the great national awakening in every direction, which augured well for the future generation. With respect to education England, Scotland, and Ireland had enjoyed the privilege of high schools and colleges for centuries before Wales. Possessing a complete system of education, he looked forward to the time when Welshmen generally would take up high positions. He hoped the school would be a fountain of life, fertility, and fruitfulness in the future. Rev. Hugh Jones, St. Dogmells, prophesied a glorious future to Welsh children on account of their ability and the means of education now within their reach.
Rev. J. Myfenydd Morgan, St. Dogmells, in a humorous address, said that the laying of the memorial stones were indications of the laying down of principles. Welshmen were thirsting for knowledge, and the working class in Wales was a superior type to the English. The present. educational facilities would create a Welsh school of thought, art, science, and theology, and literature. Hearty votes of thanks were accorded Principal Roberts and Rev. L. James for their presence and able addresses, moved by Mr O. B. Evans, seconded by Mr H. R. Daniel…”
By 10th September 1897 the building was being referred to as “Cardigan County School”. Dr. Daniel Rees was the Headmaster, transferring his pupils from the temporary school at the Guildhall to the new building. In 1897-1932 Daniel Rees was the headmaster. By November 1897 there were 99 scholars. The new school was formally opened on 23rd September 1898, having cost £3,350, by Charles Evan D. Morgan-Richardson, the Mayor of Cardigan. There was accommodation for 80 boys and 50 girls. On 23rd September 1898 the following appeared in a long article in the ‘Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser‘:
“…DESCRIPTION OF THE SCHOOL BUILDINGS. The School, which has been described as one of the best appointed and most elegant in South Wales, is erected in the latest style of English reconnaisance architecture, and a description considering our view, will not be uninteresting. The building approached via the North-road, lies right opposite the Jubilee Victoria Gardens, which forms a really beautiful adjunct to the school grounds, separated only therefrom by about five yards. Entering the embayed gateway of double entrance gates and semi-circular railings, the visitor finds himself within nicely spread lawns, which lead on either side to the boys’ and girls’ entrances, over smoothed gravel paths. Both entrances are formed of handsome Bath stone arches, each relieved with upper panels of ornamental glass. The front of the building is embellished with raised triangular erections over the windows, in the centre being a turret of wood and iron. Entering at the door of the Girls’ Department, on the right hand side are handsomely appointed cloak rooms and lavatories screened from the corridors by heavy maroon curtains. On the right and left hands are classrooms splendidly fitted up with all the latest appliances; and in the rear is a lofty kitchen, with ranges and gas stoves for teaching cookery classes, with plenty of water attached; adjoining the kitchen is the laundry. With boiler and flat iron stoves; both departments being paved with encaustic tiles. Passing from the girls’ department by a spacious corridor we enter the Central Hall for the mixed school, brilliantly lighted and furnished with varnished red pine desks and seats. This magnificent room contains two dog fireplaces, over one being the following inscription in black lettering on white marble:-
In Honour of LADY LETITIA CORNWALLIS. Whose endowment of the Cardigan Free School was appropriated towards the Building Fund of this County School. Also of COL. CHARLES WILLIAM MILES, the donor of the School Site. “Gwell Dysg na Golud.”
Over the other fireplace is:-
This Building was Opened 21st September 1898. Rev. John Williams (chairman), Mrs. Phillips, Mrs. Lewis, Mr. Edward Howell James, Mr. Jeremiah Stephens, Mr. Ivor Evans, Mr. O. Beynon Evans, Mr. Evan Thomas, Mr. David Jones, Mr. Thomas Havard, Rev. Aaron Morgan. Clerk – Mr. James Stephens. Architects, George Morgan & Son, Carmarthen. Contractors, J. Williams & Sons, Cardigan.
Adjoining the central hall are three class rooms for the boys, the vestibule ending in coat rooms and lavatories. The laboratory will contain, when completed, a perfect selection of the latest apparatus and appliances for scientific purposes. In the yard is an outside workshop for manual work, in which, woodwork and other subjects will be taught. The entrance to the cloakroom and lavatories are handsomely arched, and screened with deep maroon-coloured curtains. The central hall, class-rooms, and laboratory are floored in diagonal woodwork; the other departments and corridors being paved with black and red encaustic tiles. The urinals and closets are all fitted up with Adams patents, perfect sanitation being thus secured. The grounds around the school buildings are being tastefully laid out and planted with shrubs and trees, which will materially add to the beauty of its surroundings, and make the school one of the best situated and handsome scholastic buildings in South Wales. The original contract for the buildings was nearly £3,000, and native brick was to have been the feature; this, however, was altered, and the front and sides are now built of Morriston bricks, the Cardigan production being only used in the back of the building; combined with delays and other alterations in the specifications, the cost will be closer £3,500. The contractors were the well-known firm of Messrs. J. Williams & Sons, Cardigan, and the manner in which they have completed their onerous duties is both a credit to themselves, the managers, and the district at large. The architects were Messrs. George Morgan & Son, of Carmarthen, who are also to be congratulated on the success they have achieved…”
On 29th December 1898 headmaster Daniel Rees married Elizabeth (“Bessie”) Mary Davies of Shrewsbury. A sleeping bag used in 1900 by Robert Falcon Scott on his Antarctic expedition was emblazoned with the name “Cardigan”, and had been donated by the school. In 1901 the school staff were: D. Rees, M. A., Headmaster; J. A. Clark, B. Sc.; Miss L. Bennison, B. A.; D. White Jones, C. M.; and Miss A. Lewis. By October 1901 Miss Williams was teaching cookery here. In 1906 the staff were: D. Rees, M. A., Headmaster; B. Morgan, B. Sc.; Miss M. P. H. James, M. A.; D. White Jones, C. M.; Miss A. Lewis, C. M.; D. Williams, B. Sc.; Miss E. W. Williams (Cookery); Mr. H. F. Ellingford (Music). By 6th April 1906 a new wing had been added to the building. On 9th April 1909 tenders were sought for building two new classrooms. Designed by George Morgan & Son, architects, of Carmarthen, they were built at a cost of £800. By 1910 the extension, containing two classrooms, had been completed, and ½ acre had been acquired for use as a playing field. In 1911 a staff-room was added to the complex.
In 1914-26 Miss M. M. P. H. James was the chief assistant mistress. In 1914 the staff included: Daniel Rees, M. A., Headmaster; Miss M. M. P. H. James, M. A., Chief Assistant Mistress; Daniel Williams; David White-Jones; William Ernest Edwards; Harold Maddock Jones; William Richards; & Miss Anna Lewis, assistant teachers. In August 1916 Miss Gladys M. Best and Mr. Rhys T. Davies joined the staff. In 1919 the staff were: Dr. Rees, Headmaster; D. Williams; D. White Jones; W. M. Edwards; W. T. Richards; Miss A. Lewis; Miss Olwen Davies; Miss R. M. Jones; and Miss E. M. John. In 1920 the following were staff: David Rees; Miss Anna Lewis, Chief Assistant Mistress; Daniel Williams; David White-Jones; William Ernest Edwards; Rhys T. Davies; William Richards; Miss Olwen Davies; Miss Eleanor Mary John; and Miss Ray M. Jones, assistant teachers.
In March 1923 following an inspection, grant aid was withdrawn from the school. Eight of the eleven staff had resigned through overwork and low wages. New teachers were employed, partly to redress the situation. Funding recommenced in August 1924. That year, members of staff here included Miss Jones. In 1927 the school negotiated the purchase of lands from the Cardigan Brick Co. and the Victory Mills Co., for extensions and a playing field. Cllr. John Evans of Castle Green (Cardigan Castle), Mayor of Cardigan, opened the new tennis courts at the school field on 19th November 1931. On 29th July 1932 Daniel Rees, headmaster, retired after 36 years here. Thomas Evans was appointed his successor.
In 1932-63 Thomas (“Tom”) Evans was the Headmaster. On 11th August 1933 the school choir featured in the first radio broadcast from Cardigan. In October 1933 Agricultural Science Master Islwyn Jones died of burns after petrol ignited while he was filling his car. On 27th July 1934 tenders were accepted for the building of extensions. On 24th October 1934 Cllr. John Evans of Castle Green, Sheriff of Cardiganshire, opened the new playing field. The same year the school became the first in the county to possess a telephone. On 25th October 1935 the governors agreed to the widening of the Gwbert Road junction. There were 390 pupils and 17 staff at the school that year. In 1935 extensions were begun, including a new gymnasium, changing rooms and laboratories. Rhys Jones was the architect and the contractors were Messrs. W. Highley & Son, Shrewsbury and the clerk of works was Mr. T. W. Miller. A music festival was held in the school grounds on 1st May 1935. Idwal Jones was the Senior English Master at that time. The school choir held a concert at the Pavilion on 10th February 1936.On 8th April 1936 the extensions, including a new Art Room, were opened by Cllr. John Evans of Castle Green. In 1936 the staff were: T. Evans, Headmaster; J. E. W. Bell; F. R. Bruce; R. G. Doolan; L. W. Evans; H. Gordon; D. J. Hill; W. R. Jones; I. M. Jones; K. Peake-Jones; O. D. Parker; W. A. Tregonning; Miss M. G. Davies; Miss E. M. Clarke; Miss E. M. Evans; Miss M. E. Phillips; and Miss M. Tattershall. Former headmaster Dr. Daniel Rees died in 1938.
On 28th February 1941 the local A. T. C. was formed and used the school as their first H. Q.. Later in the year they moved to Stanley House. The school closed for a week in July 1941 due to an outbreak of diphtheria. On 11th August 1943 a “Cardigan & District Red Cross Victory Show” was held here. On 23rd July 1945 the school celebrated its’ jubilee. That year, the school provided some Technical Education facilities on behalf of R. A. E. Aberporth, who built a hut at the school for that purpose. This was the origin of the adjacent Cardigan Further Education College. In 1948-49 W. R. Jones was temporary acting Headmaster whilst Tom Evans, M. A., was teaching for a year in Ohio. In July 1949 Tom Evans became an Alderman of the Borough. By 20th January 1950 extensions to the school were being planned. On 18th March 1951 proposals for the new annexe continued. That year two new classrooms were built, and there was a minor fire in the Boys’ Cloakroom. The Annual Show was held on the school field on August 15th 1951. On 22nd February 1952 the school proposed to erect memorial gates here. Supplied by B. G. Davies of Myrtle Hill, Penparc, the gates were unveiled by E. Roderic Bowen on 8th June 1952.
The Coronation Sanction Show was held here on 29th July 1953 alongside the Annual Show. On 5th February 1954 extensions were proposed at the school – to provide a kitchen and dining room, and the building of a new school was considered. On 7th January 1955 there were plans for a new school hall. On 6th May 1955 Bath House Farm was offered to the school for use as an agricultural college, but the offer was not taken up. On 9th September 1955 it was announced that work was about to commence on a new hall and education block here. On 22nd June 1956 work began on the new extensions – estimated to cost £80,000. In 1957 the staff were: T. Evans, Headmaster; Miss Magwen Bryant; N. S. Taylor; Mrs N. E. Davies; T. E. Davies; Miss S. R. Owen; W. R. Jones; Miss R. Price; I. Jones; Miss M. Morgan; D. J. Hill; Mrs J. Eatough; W. Edgerton-Jones; Miss. J. M. Ward; W. D. Moore; S. Beddows; K. J. C. Phelps; D. Evans; G. I. Edwards; L. G. Green; P. S. Smith; T. Ryan; Rev. G. Jenkins; S. Jones; R. H. Harris; D. J. Phillips; D. C. T. Davies; J. E. Davies; D. Eatough; A. Lewis; Rev. A. Griffiths; and Miss Julie James (School Secretary). On 29th November 1957 Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, opened the new extensions. Mr. G. R. Bruce designed the new work. In 1959 the school was amalgamated with St. Mary’s Modern School, Pontycleifion. Large extensions were proposed to accommodate the extra pupils. On 31st December 1963 Tom Evans retired as headmaster.
On 1st January 1964 Enoch Thomas of Ammanford became the Headmaster. Enoch Thomas was the headmaster in 1964-78. In October 1964 there were 836 pupils. Former headmaster Tom Evans died on 14th January 1965 aged 68. In January 1972 tenders were sought for building extensions including a needlework room, workshop, cloakroom and toilets. On 23rd October 1978 Enoch Thomas, headmaster, died. On 29th December 1978 proposals were made for a custom-built theatre to be erected in the school grounds.
In 1979 Dewi Wyn Lloyd became the new headmaster. In 1979-90 Dewi Wyn Lloyd was the headmaster. In 1982 the Enoch Thomas Memorial Library was opened. In 1989 work began on a new Leisure Centre at the school field. In 1990 Martin Lloyd succeeded Dewi Wyn Lloyd as Headmaster, but his tenure was brief and before the end of the year, Gareth Jerman was the acting Headmaster.
In 1991 Dr. Gwynfor Griffiths became the new Headmaster. In 1991-2007 Gwynfor Griffiths was the headmaster. On 28th May 1998 a concert was held here by the London Welsh Choir in aid of Cardigan & District Memorial Hospital. On 21st September 1998 the school celebrated its centenary. In July 2007 Dr. Gwynfor Griffiths ceased to be headmaster.
In September 2007 Garry Brame became the new headmaster and was the head in 2007-10. He left in July 2010. Nicola James became the new Head Teacher in September 2010 and remained in post in 2010-13.
Front range is red brick with sandstone banding and sills. Central section has 6 windows with taller lights to bays 2 and 4 with gablets above, flat heads. Cambered headed lights to other bays. At either end, corresponding gable-fronted wings breaking forward. Three close-set windows, small-paned. Rear ranges set back to each side at right angles with small lights, set high. Canted angles linking these to main range, have sandstone traceried arched headed double panelled timber doors with triple windows above, small arched-headed single pane lights.
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1890-91; 1893-1901; 1903-06; 1909; 1913; 1915; 1917; 1919; 1923; 1927; 1932-36; 1938; 1941; 1943; 1945; 1949-57; 1963-65; 1972; 1978; 1996-99; 2002-13
Poster – Scholarship, Cardigan County School 30/07/1898
A Guide to Cardigan & District, William Edward Yerward James 1899
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1914; 1926
Poster – Music Festival, Cardigan County School Grounds 01/05/1935
Card – Idwal Jones, Senior English Master 17/07/1935
Invitation Card – Opening of Extensions, Cardigan County School 08/04/1936
Draft Report – Cardigan County School 14/04/1948
Demetian July 1948; July 1951
Application Form For Admission – Cardigan County School, 05/08/1950
Programme – Carnival & Fête, Cardigan County School Grounds 09/08/1950
Letter – Re. Cardigan School Accounts 17/04/1951
Programme – Cardigan Annual Show 15/08/1951; 29/07/1953
Timetable – Cardigan County Grammar School 31/08/1953
School Governors’ Paperwork, Nov 1954
Programme – Opening of Extensions, Cardigan County School, 1957
Poster – Summer Fair, Cardigan County School 09/07/1980
Programme – Prize-Giving Evening 10/09/1987; 18/07/1989
Y Bont 1988
Planning Decision – School Field 23/08/1989
The Gateway to Wales, W J Lewis 1990
Planning Decision – Cardigan Leisure Centre 07/06/1990
Cardigan Secondary School Centenary Catalogue 1998
Cardigan Secondary School Centenary Programme 1998
Christmas Card – Cardigan Secondary School, Llwyd Edwards 1998
Poster – Menter Aberteifi Meeting, School Hall 25/09/1999
School Governors’ Paperwork, Cardigan Secondary School Oct –Dec 1999.
© Glen K Johnson 29/07/2013