• YSGYBORWEN

    by  • September 22, 2013 • Farm, House, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 1 Comment

    History:

    The name means ‘White Barn’. It was referred to in 1791. In 1797-1803 Rev. John Jones was the owner and David Richards, Ann Jacob and William Williams were the tenants. On 4th October 1825 Martha James, daughter of David & Mary James of Dincwd, was baptised at the Parish Church. It is marked as ‘Dincwd’ on the 1838 tithe map. David James of Ysgyborwen was one of the original Deacons of Capel Degwel, but later, because of a disagreement, became an Anglican. On January 12th 1848 David James of this address was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged 57. His will referred to his wife Mary James and children: David James; James James; Mary James; Martha James; Jane James; and Eliza James. On 8th January 1850 Mary James of this address, daughter of the late David James, farmer, married David Rees, mariner of Cippyn, St. Dogmaels. In 1851 the following persons lived here: Mary James, 57, farmer of 125 acres; James James, 31; Martha James, 25; Jane James, 21; Elizabeth James, 19; Mary Rees, daughter, 27; 1 visitor and 2 servants. On March 23rd 1858 Eliza James of this address, daughter of the late David James, married John Thomas of Rhydyfantwn Mill, Monington. In 1861 the following persons were living here: Mary James, 67, farmer of 125 acres; James James, 41, her son; Martha James, 34, her daughter; William James, 14, her grandson; and three servants.

    In 1862 D. K. W. Webley-Parry sold the property to Thomas Harman Brenchley of Glaneirw. Mary James died in 1871. In 1875 George Davies was the farmer here. On 8th April 1879 John Davies, son of George & Frances Davies of Ysgyborhen, died aged 10 months. In the late 1880’s the occupiers were John Owens, George Davies and Griffith Davies and Mary Thomas. On October 16th 1888 James James of High Street, St. Dogmaels, formerly of this address, was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged 69. In 1891 the following persons lived here: George Davies, 50, farmer (b. Eglwyswrw); Frances Davies, 50, his wife; Griffith Davies, 25, their son; James Davies, 23, son; John G. Davies, 11, son; Daniel Davies, 9, son; Benjamin Phillips, 15, servant; and Ann Griffiths, 16, servant (b. Moylegrove). The household was Welsh-speaking and all were born in St. Dogmaels unless stated otherwise. On 12th January 1892 George Davies of Ysgyborwen died aged 57. In 1894 Griffith Davies and James Davies lived here. On 1st August 1896 Griffith Davies of Ysgyborwen married Miss Eleanor Richards of Penrhyn Mawr.

    In 1901 the following persons lived here: Frances Davies, 60, widow, farmer; William J. Davies, 25, carter; Margaret A. Davies, 19, housemaid; David J. Thomas, 18, carter; and James L. Thomas, 14, cowman. All were bilingual and born in the parish. In 1901-10 Frances Davies was the farmer. On 23rd October 1907 Annie May Davies, daughter of James Davies of this address, died aged 10 months. On 7th March 1908 James Davies of Ysgyborwen died aged 40. On 3rd December 1910 Frances Davies, widow of George Davies, died aged 69.

    In 1911-20 Abraham Finch was the farmer. In 1911 the following persons lived here: Abraham Finch, 38 (b. Cardigan); Mary Hannah Finch, 31, his wife since 1909; Amy Elizabeth Davies, 7, her daughter; Hannah Finch, 31, relation (b. Cardigan); Benjamin Richards, 18, farm servant; and David John Harries, 15, farm servant. Except where noted otherwise all were bilingual and born in the parish. On 27th October 1918 Miss Amy Elizabeth Davies of Ysgyborwen died aged 15. On 15th May 1920 the 113 acre property was advertised for sale – Mr. Finch was then preparing to leave. On 12th October 1920 a clear-out sale was held here for the departing Mr. Finch. In 1926 William Davies lived here. On 15th December 1930 Benjamin Davies of this address died aged 49. In 1935-37 Gwynwfor Davies and Mrs. Davies lived here. In 1938 Hefin N. Davies, William Gwynefor Davies, Thomas Eurgan Davies; Miss Betty Davies, Miss Dyddanwy Davies and Mrs. Davies lived here. In 1940 Mrs. Davies lived here. In April 1941 Gwynefor Davies was living at this address. In 1944 Evan N. H. Davies, William G. Davies and Thomas E. Davies lived here. On 13th September 1949 Miss Etta Diddanwy Davies, youngest daughter of Mrs. Davies and the late Benjamin Davies of this address, married John Douglas Davies of Carmarthenshire. In 1950-55 S. A. Davies & Sons were living here.On 21st February 1953 Mr. T. Eurgan Davies, B. Pharm., Ph. C., youngest son of Mrs. Sarah Ann Davies and the late Benjamin Davies, married Miss Betty Seabourne of Pontardawe. On 7th May 1953 Hefin Davies, eldest son of Mrs. Sarah Ann Davies of this address, married Miss Anne Macbeth McKenzie of Paisley. On 13th June 1954 Sarah Ann Davies of this address, widow of Benjamin Davies, died aged 71. In 1955 Hannah E. Davies and William G. Davies lived here. In June 1956 the property was advertised for sale. On 6th November 1956 there was a clear-out sale of stock, crops and implements held here – the property was said to have been recently sold by Messrs. S. A. Davies.

    In 1960 Mrs. Fletcher lived here with her son. On 2nd October 1964 the 4-bedroom property was advertised for sale. The property was advertised for sale again in September 1979.

    Description:

    None available.

    Sources:

    Land Tax Lists for St. Dogmaels 1786-1803

    Tithe Map for St. Dogmaels 1838

    St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Marriages 1837-1970

    St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Burials 1813-52; 1885-1952;

    Census Returns 1851; 1861; 1891; 1901; 1911

    Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru, Thomas Rees & John Thomas, ca1871

    Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1906; 1914; 1926 

    Accounts – Rebuilding Blaenywaun Chapel, St Dogmaels 1891

    Occupiers List of Voters – St. Dogmaels 30/07/1894

    The Benedictine Abbey of St. Mary at St. Dogmaels, Herbert Millingchamp Vaughan 1917

    Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1896; 1908; 1918; 1920; 1933; 1935; 1937-38; 1940-41; 1953-54

    1956; 1964; 1979

    Blaeunwaun Baptist Chapel Annual Report 1938

    Annual Report – Capel Degwel, St Dogmaels 1938

    Post Office Telephone Directory 1950; 1953; 1955

    Electoral Register – St. Dogmaels 1955

    The Place Names of Pembrokeshire, B G Charles 1993

    Monumental Inscriptions, Blaenwaun Chapel cemetery.

    © Glen K Johnson 22/09/2013.

    About

    One Response to YSGYBORWEN

    1. Valerie Sweet
      May 28, 2014 at 8:39 pm

      an ancestor of mine
      Thomas James 1820 Master Mariner Ysgyborwen
      Endab

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *